Preparing your home for a successful photo shoot
Capturing quality images of your property is one of the most important services that we’ll provide for you. Many of the photos will be displayed on the Multiple Listing Service and of course, on numerous real estate websites. We want to produce images that will leave you feeling proud to display your home, images that will entice buyers to request an in person viewing. Home buyers will often make decisions on whether they’ll view a home in person based on the photos that they see online. With that in mind, it’s important that we properly prepare the home so we can take the best possible images. Here are a few tips to help you help us have a successful photo shoot at your home.
- Remove and store any personal items which you are uncomfortable with strangers seeing.
- In winter, shovel all walkways and driveways.
- Remove all vehicles from driveways and try not to park directly in front of the house.
- Remove your portable garbage container and recycling bin from the front of the house.
- Flower beds should be neat and free of excessive weed growth.
- Remove shovels, garden tools, hoses and sprinklers.
- Sweep decks and patios.
- Open window coverings to let in the natural light and neighbourhood views (vertical and Venetian blinds turned to open position).
- Turn difficult to find light switches to the on position.
- Turn ceiling fans and television sets off.
- Stash all those remote controls in a cupboard.
- Tidy all bathrooms storing toiletries off of counter tops and put toilet seat and lids down.
- Make all beds and tidy bedrooms. Clothes hung, or folded and put away.
- Ensure that all toys are neatly put away.
- De-clutter rooms which may be excessively furnished. They don’t photograph well.
- Remove piles of newspaper and magazines.
- Straighten and tidy bookshelves, display units and home work spaces.
- Tuck trash cans out of view in a closet or a cupboard.
- Keep kitchen counter tops as clear of items as possible.
- Put dishwashing items (dishcloths, scouring pads, dish soap, etc.) away.
- Remove any items which may be taped are otherwise fastened to the refrigerator.
- Remove pets and evidence of pets like bowls, toys and litter boxes.
Please allow for a two-hour time period for the photo shoot. If we need to return a second time for one or two retakes we’ll give you plenty of notice.